Tuesday 5 August 2008

Hustle and Bustle

Busy the streets of Hong Kong may be,
but it shouldn't be an excuse for the absence of common etiquette and undesirable social behaviour.

About a week ago while I was roaming round Time's Square, I can't believe a man, although unintendedly, just slammed the door shut at my face. The issue here is that, holding the door open when there's someone immediately behind him is not in his dictionary.
What does that tell you?

It is now that I realize the reason of the 'amusement' I catch on other people's faces when I'm bothered to hold open a door, a simple act like that - It's such a rare occasion, not even the men would do it!

Strolling down the streets, although in a hurry, I notice that very often, I find myself being offended by the lack of manlihood (not to be sexist), phrases like 'Ladies first' cease to exist in our society. I'm deeply disappointed that matters like these are no longer concerned by people living in this much developed city.

We complain about incoming 'tourists' and their undesirable social behaviours, but who are we to complain and rant about when we can't even manage to perform them well enough ourselves? If we don't start to set a good example, who would?

And guys, c'mon. Talk about impressing ladies, if you can't even practice these simple tasks on a daily basis, don't even think about making a good impression on a first date with a longed-for girl, you're bound to screw up.

All of you, please make Hong Kong a better place. Sometimes all it takes is a little bit of awareness and consideration from everyone, it doesn't bite to let a lady through first!

-Bee

2 comments:

梁奕 said...

謝謝分享很有意思的文章,我會時常到這裡閱讀你的日記學英文...真的寫得不錯:)

mickeylovesb said...

Omygosh, please don't say that, my writing is definitely not good enough for you to 學英文, I was just looking through my old ones a few days ago and had to correct so many stupid errors. Thanks to my late-night posting.

But other than that, you're always welcome to stop by! A little ashamed how my photos are never even near being comparable to yours!

cheers!