Saturday 7 November 2009

The world as we percieve it, as it percieves us.

In our daily lives,
we often have to move about,
to and fro places that aren't reserved for our private use,
hence coming across numerous strangers, faces,
with each turn about to the corner,
or each bus ride.

When we arrive upon the topic of human interaction,
had there been two complete strangers,
and no 'man in the middle' to, perhaps, join up the points,
the only way a linkage could be drawn is completely left to the situation.

Had there been pressure that the whole point of a certain gathering was to mingle,
eg: parties, getting-to-know-yous, speed-dating,
then the chances of one approaching another is almost definite.
But had it been other circumstances,
such as being enclosed in a limited amount of space together in a forceful way,
awkwardness prevails.

But to break the ice,
it takes eye contact, initiation and etcetera.

This girl, she had beautiful dark eyes.
Me, being the shallow,
afraid of being too much of a stand-out under circumstances where I'm on my own,
I classified her, the avoiding glance and all-black apparel, as an 'emo'.
Had I felt rejected to any further friendly gestures,
because I assumed 'people of her type', they tend to not respond,
and I didn't want to feel embarassed,
- I pulled on an expressionless face.

Minutes later, when we made proper eye contact,
she smiled at me briefly,
only to be greeted by the cold front I've unconsciously set up.
Startled when I realised how I've chosen to conform to the other's ways of which I'd normally disapprove of,
I however, did not bother to correct what I've done,
but to shamefully look away and avoid her glances,
just so the other passengers would not think me queer for having made a big deal out of nothing.

Why is it that we've come to a stage where we allow peer pressure to change our values of what is right and wrong? Had I gone up and had the patience to endure the awkwardity of it all, I might've made a new friend with someone from a completely different background. How would it even have affected others, have I done this?

I think it's time to re-evaluate what the world, with all it's people,
make of us.

B.




No comments: