Tuesday 12 February 2008

I strongly believe that the education systems we are brought under today are giving the students a totally different experience to those who were still undergoing basic education (especially the secondary school system) 20 years or so ago. The academic pressure we're facing is almost unbearable - the thought of failing high school, not able to go into a decent university (like the top 20s in a particular SOMEWHERE)...its crazy. I know I might not be the most hardworking person on earth, (which I truly admit, btw) and I also know that I have time management problems, a bad habit of slipping things to the last minute...but I feel that if people from our parents generation were put up with our situation, or people from any generation actually, they would be doing the same. Everyone has a line, a limit of how many tasks one could manage and still function, and whenever the limit is exceeded, 'the law of the diminishing returns' come into use for the explaination of what happens further on.

IB...is more stressful than ever. 6 subject areas which are all very different - they require all their students, especially those who wish to do good, to be well rounded, capable in all fields. Oh, and what if I'm a loser for math and am barely capable of staying in math standard - I now have the pressure to be beaten down to either the studies course, or math tuitions outside of school. That is so much of an option when there is always so much to do, whether its giving myself free time on some days so I have the flexibility to work on assignments after school or being engaged with extra-curricular activities. I seriously don't want to waste two hours of after school time, per week, on that. Should I give myself another chance to try and study on my own?

Welcome to the land of academic-doom. Yay.

- Bee <3

No comments: